Solar Rebates For Your Home
We’re now offering rebates on solar photovoltaic (PV) systems for homes connected to Manitoba Hydro’s grid.
Solar PV systems provide energy to your home in a sustainable manner. They can help reduce your monthly energy bill, mitigate the impact of future rate increases, and increase the value of your property.
We offer a rebate of $0.50 per direct current (DC) watt installed on homes connected to Manitoba Hydro’s grid, up to a maximum of $5,000 per home.
Rebates are available for system sizes of up to 10 kW per home. Homeowners can install solar PV systems larger than 10 kW; however, the rebate will be capped at 10 kW and $5,000 per home. If the equipment cost of your new solar PV system is less than the calculated rebate amount, your rebate will be capped at the lesser of the two amounts.
BENEFITS OF A SOLAR PV SYSTEM
There are many benefits to installing a solar PV system.
- It provides energy to your home in a sustainable manner.
- It helps reduce your monthly energy bill.
- It mitigates the impact of future rate increases.
- It can increase the value of your property.
CHECK OUT OUR PROGRAM GUIDE
Read our program guide to learn more about solar, how to get started, securing a contractor, and more!
Steps to Participate
CHECK TO SEE IF YOU AND YOUR PROJECT ARE ELIGIBLE
CHOOSE A REGISTERED EFFICIENCY MANITOBA CONTRACTOR
Your contractor must be registered with Efficiency Manitoba. We recommend browsing our list of registered suppliers, getting several quotes, and checking references before making your choice. Be sure to compare the proposed design of each contractor, costs, and post-installation services. If your preferred contractor isn’t a registered Efficiency Manitoba supplier, we can help them join our supplier network.
APPLY FOR PERMITS & APPROVALS
Grid-connected solar PV system installations must comply with Manitoba Hydro’s interconnection requirements and be approved by Manitoba Hydro before starting any work. Work with your solar contractor to submit an application and the required documentation to receive interconnection approval from Manitoba Hydro. To learn more about grid-connected solar PV systems in Manitoba, visit Manitoba Hydro’s website. It’s also a good time to obtain any necessary permits to ensure your system complies with any municipal building code requirements.
INSTALL YOUR SOLAR PV SYSTEM
Once Manitoba Hydro has approved your interconnection application, you and your contractor can proceed with installing your new solar PV system.
APPLY FOR YOUR REBATE
Apply for your rebate when your system has passed final inspections, is operational, and is paid in full. Applications must be submitted within 90 days.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
- Your solar PV system is connected to Manitoba Hydro’s grid.
- The home is the primary residence for you or your tenant and is occupied year-round, and has been occupied for the last 12 months.
- Your home is heated year-round.
- Your home is a single-detached home, semi-detached home, mobile home on a permanent foundation, duplex, triplex, fourplex, or multiplex with its own meter.
- Your solar PV system is connected to the primary residential energy meter that services your home.
- Your contractor is registered with Efficiency Manitoba.
DOES YOUR PROJECT QUALIFY?
- Your solar PV system must be new and purchased in Canada.
- Your solar PV equipment and its components must be CSA approved.
- All work must meet the Manitoba Electrical Code and any applicable local laws and regulations.
- Your new solar PV system must be designed by a qualified designer and installed by a person who holds an electrical contractor’s licence as required by the Authorities Having Jurisdiction.
PROJECTS THAT AREN’T ELIGIBLE
- Seasonal homes, cottages, and vacation rentals
- Solar PV systems installed in new homes (they may be eligible through our New Homes Program)
- Multi-residential properties that aren’t a duplex, triplex, fourplex, or multiplex with its own meter
- Homes with existing solar PV systems
- Portable or temporary structures
- Unoccupied homes or homes under construction
TIPS & ADVICE
Check out the rest of the articles in our solar series.
EVEN MORE HELP IS AVAILABLE
We work in partnership with Manitoba Hydro to offer financing for energy efficiency upgrades. Qualifying homeowners may be eligible for financing to assist with the cost of installing a solar PV system through Manitoba Hydro’s Home Energy Efficiency Loan.
CANADA GREENER HOMES INITIATIVE
You may be eligible for additional rebates and financing through the Canada Greener Homes Initiative. To learn more, visit the Canada Greener Homes Initiative web page.