SOLAR REBATES FOR YOUR BUSINESS
We’re now offering rebates on solar photovoltaic (PV) systems for businesses connected to Manitoba Hydro’s grid.
Solar PV systems provide energy to your business in a sustainable manner. They can help reduce your monthly energy bill and mitigate the impact of future rate increases.
We offer a rebate of $0.50 per direct current (DC) watt installed on buildings connected to Manitoba Hydro’s grid, up to a maximum of $25,000 per building.
Rebates are available for system sizes of up to 50 kW per building for customers that receive pre-approval from Efficiency Manitoba on or after August 18, 2022. Your solar PV system can be larger than 50 kW; however, the rebate will be capped at 50 kW and $25,000. If the equipment cost of your new solar PV system is less than the calculated rebate amount, your rebate will be capped at the lesser of the two amounts.
BENEFITS OF A SOLAR PV SYSTEM
There are many benefits to installing a solar PV system.
- It provides energy to your business in a sustainable manner.
- It helps reduce your monthly energy bill.
- It mitigates the impact of future rate increases.
Steps to Participate
CHECK TO SEE IF YOU AND YOUR PROJECT ARE ELIGIBLE
CHOOSE A REGISTERED EFFICIENCY MANITOBA CONTRACTOR
Your contractor must be registered with Efficiency Manitoba. We recommend browsing our list of registered suppliers, getting several quotes, and checking references before making your choice. Be sure to compare the proposed design of each contractor; pay attention to the costs and post-installation services. If your preferred contractor isn’t a registered Efficiency Manitoba supplier, we can help them join our supplier network.
APPLY FOR PERMITS & APPROVALS
Grid-connected solar PV system installations must comply with Manitoba Hydro’s interconnection requirements and be approved by Manitoba Hydro before starting any work. Work with your solar contractor to submit an application and the required documentation to receive interconnection approval from Manitoba Hydro. To learn more about grid-connected solar PV systems in Manitoba, visit Manitoba Hydro’s website. It’s also a good time to obtain any necessary permits and ensure your system complies with any municipal building code requirements.
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
Once you have received interconnection approval from Manitoba Hydro and a project quote from your contractor, apply for project approval with Efficiency Manitoba before you purchase or install your new solar PV system.
GET APPROVAL FOR YOUR PROJECT
We’ll review your application and send your approval by email. Remember not to start any work before we approve your application.
INSTALL YOUR SOLAR PV SYSTEM
You and your contractor can proceed with installing your new solar PV system. You’ll have 12 months to complete your project and submit completion documentation to be eligible for a rebate.
SUBMIT COMPLETION DOCUMENTS
You and your contractor can submit the completion documents to Efficiency Manitoba. You’ll sign the completion declaration and submit all invoices to confirm the solar PV system is installed and operational.
RECEIVE YOUR REBATE
We’ll review these documents and finalize your rebate. A post-installation inspection may be required prior to finalizing your rebate.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
- Your new solar PV system was approved by Efficiency Manitoba, was installed on or after August 18, 2022, and is connected to Manitoba Hydro’s grid.
- You’re the building owner or designated representative of the building.
- Your building has its own meter and an active Manitoba Hydro account.
- You’re an existing Manitoba Hydro customer eligible for Manitoba Hydro’s commercial general service electricity rates and commercial service natural gas rates.
- Your building is currently occupied and has been occupied for the last 12 months.
- New buildings must have been occupied for at least one year before installing the solar PV system. Buildings with new additions qualify if they have an existing meter.
- Your contractor is registered with Efficiency Manitoba.
DOES YOUR PROJECT QUALIFY?
- Your solar PV system must be new and purchased in Canada.
- Your solar PV equipment and its components must be CSA approved.
- All work must meet the Manitoba Electrical Code and any applicable local laws and regulations.
- Your new solar PV system must be designed by a qualified designer and installed by a person who holds an electrical contractor’s licence.
PROJECTS THAT AREN’T ELIGIBLE
- Solar PV systems installed prior to August 18, 2022 and solar project not approved by Efficiency Manitoba.
- Seasonal buildings and new construction
- Building with existing solar PV systems
- Portable or temporary structures
TIPS & ADVICE
Check out the rest of the articles in our solar series.
If you’re a solar contractor, join our supplier network. You can offer our Solar Rebate Program to your customers and be listed in our online supplier directory
We’ll offer program training to registered suppliers.