IMPROVE YOUR HOME’S COMFORT WITH HIGH-PERFORMANCE DOORS
Make your home more comfortable by installing high-performance doors. Beyond increasing your home’s curb appeal, they’ll improve its energy efficiency and save you money each month.
If you’re considering upgrading your existing doors to high-performance models, you may be eligible to receive a rebate through our Windows and Doors Rebate offer.
UPGRADING YOUR DOORS
The first step to upgrading your doors is to take a good look at their condition. Check the ease of operation of each door, look for rot, and note the condition of any glass inserts. If a door is in reasonable condition, it may be more cost effective for you to repair and seal it rather than replacing it altogether.
How to repair existing doors
- To reduce air leakage, caulk any gaps between the trim and wall, and make sure the weatherstripping is flexible and properly installed.
- Replace or repair any damaged glass inserts.
- Replace weatherstripping if it’s worn out or doesn’t seal properly.
- Install bottom seals or sweeps on doors that don’t have sill weatherstripping.
If you decide to replace any of your doors, you’ll want to do the following:
- Buy ENERGY STAR® certified models. Not only are these doors required to meet specific requirements for quality and efficiency, but it’s also one of the requirements for a $50 rebate through our Windows and Doors Rebate offer. Browse these lists of ENERGY STAR certified doors and ENERGY STAR certified sliding glass doors on the Natural Resources Canada website.
- Consider wood, vinyl, or fibreglass frames.
- Source good-quality weatherstripping.
- Plan to glaze with a low-e coating and an inert gas fill.
- Consider triple pane glazing.
TALK TO A CONTRACTOR
Before you start shopping for high-performance doors, it might be worth speaking with an expert who can point you in the right direction and help you make sure you’re purchasing the right doors for your home.
We recommend getting quotes from at least three different contractors and choosing one that provides the best value (rather than the lowest price). Learn more about hiring a contractor.
GET A REBATE
We offer rebates on select ENERGY STAR certified doors to keep you comfortable and save you energy and money. Homeowners can get a rebate of $50 per qualifying opening when replacing existing doors.
Once you’ve installed your new high-performance doors, fill out our online application form and we’ll send you a rebate. It’s that simple.