GROUND SOURCE HEAT PUMPS
Ground source heat pumps (GSHPs) are efficient, economical, and environmentally friendly. They can reduce your electric heating costs by up to 60%, protect you from the impacts of future heating costs, and help you save for years to come.
A GSHP circulates fluid through a loop of pipes buried underground. In heating mode, the fluid absorbs heat from the earth, which stays at a stable temperature regardless of the temperature above ground. In summer, the process is reversed, redistributing heat back into the ground.
We offer rebates to make your upgrade easier and more affordable.
They’re calculated as being the lesser of:
- $2.50 per square foot heated by a ground source heat pump system
- $120 per MBH of installed heating capacity
- $120 per MBH of the building’s eligible base transmission and infiltration heating load.
Check out our program guide for more information.
How to Participate
CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED INSTALLER & APPLY
Your installer must be an active member of the Manitoba Geothermal Energy Alliance (MGEA). We recommend browsing MGEA’s list of accredited installers, getting several quotes, and checking references before making your choice. Be sure to compare each installer’s proposed design and pay attention to the loop sizing for ground loop systems. Once you’ve chosen an installer, they’ll lead you through the application process and submit an application on your behalf.
GET APPROVAL FOR YOUR PROJECT
We’ll issue a written approval and from there you’ll have one year to purchase and install your heating system. Don’t purchase any materials or start your project until we approve your project.
COMPLETE YOUR PROJECT
Once your heat pump is installed and operating, your installer will submit all applicable permits, licences, and invoices on your behalf. You’ll sign the completion documents to confirm the heat pump is installed and operational. We’ll review these documents and send you your rebate. We may also contact you to schedule a post-installation inspection of your heat pump.
DO YOU QUALIFY?
- Your heat pump is replacing an existing electric furnace/boiler, electric baseboards, or natural gas heating system. Homeowners who are converting from fuel oil or propane are also eligible for incentives.
- Your heat pump is being installed in a single-detached residence or small business.
- Your installer is registered with Efficiency Manitoba and accredited by the Manitoba Geothermal Energy Alliance.
- New construction farm buildings may be eligible for incentives. Contact us for more details.
PROJECTS THAT AREN’T ELIGIBLE
Read the Terms and Conditions for full eligibility requirements.
EVEN MORE HELP IS AVAILABLE
You could be eligible for additional GSHP rebates through the Canada Greener Homes Initiative.
Financing for your GSHP may be available through the Canada Greener Homes Loan or Manitoba Hydro’s Home Energy Efficiency Loan. Be sure to apply for financing before you start any work, including purchasing products.
You may be eligible for the Manitoba Green Energy Equipment Tax Credit from the province of Manitoba.