Fall is a season of change, from the leaves turning red and gold to the geese flying south. Now is a great time to consider how you’re using energy around your workplace and make some changes of your own! Here are our top tips to get your workplace ready for the cooler weather.
Fall energy efficiency tips:
- Make sure your window vents are clear of paper and other clutter so that air can circulate freely. As much as 25 percent more energy is required to distribute air if your vents are blocked.
- Want to reduce your lighting expenses by 10 to 40 percent? Open your blinds to make the best use of natural daylight, and take advantage of skylights and other natural light sources.
- Make a habit of turning off the lights whenever you leave a room.
- Fight off energy vampires! Unplug electronics when you’re not actively using them and when you’re away from work for an extended period of time.
- Electronics use more energy if you leave them running instead of turning them on and off as needed. Be sure to turn equipment, computers, monitors, photocopiers and appliances off when they are not in use.
- Host daily, weekly, or monthly office challenges by encouraging your coworkers to adopt an energy-efficient behaviour. This is a fun way to get everyone engaged in the cause!