EARTH DAY 2021
April 22 is Earth Day! Earth Day is a movement designed to encourage us to protect the environment and preserve our natural resources. Taking action against climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions is necessary to make sure our planet remains healthy for generations to come.
We believe in the importance of Earth Day – and so does Green Action Centre, an organization dedicated to promoting green living and advocating for positive environmental changes. We partnered with them to provide you with resources to celebrate Earth Day and make sustainable living a part of your everyday life.
HOW YOU CAN CELEBRATE
Earth Day Your Way Panel (April 22, 2021 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
This virtual event gives viewers insight into the work Green Action Centre does and provides tips on how to make Earth Day every day. Register for free!
Omand’s Creek Cleanup (May 29, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
Join Green Action Centre for their annual cleanup event in Omand’s Creek in Winnipeg. COVID-19 protocols will be followed.
Commuter Challenge (May 30 to June 5, 2021)
The Commuter Challenge encourages participants to choose sustainable modes of travel that build new healthy habits. Doing this will not only make a positive impact on your personal health but also on the environment by cutting air pollution, reducing traffic congestion, and lowering greenhouse gas emissions. Sign up for free today.
HOW TO MAKE EVERYDAY EARTH DAY
It’s important to bring the work we do on Earth Day to the other 364 days of the year. Here are some tips to help you start your green living journey:
- Refuse single-use items. Say “no” to things like straws, plastic bags, takeout cutlery, receipts, and anything that you don’t actually need.
- Practice mindful consumption. Before you buy something, ask yourself, “Do I need it? Can I borrow it? Can I purchase it second-hand? Can I purchase it locally-made?”
- Compost! Divert up to 40% of your household waste by starting a backyard compost. Also, International Composting Awareness Week is from May 2 to 6, so stay tuned for some quick video tutorials on Green Action Centre’s Instagram.
- Increase active and sustainable transportation. Reduce carbon emissions by choosing to walk or cycle short distances and carpool longer ones. Participating in the Commuter Challenge is a great way to get in this mindset!
- Reduce food waste by meal planning. Plan your grocery list according to the meals you want to make that week, ensuring all ingredients are accounted for and no food goes to waste.
- Prioritize energy efficiency. When you make energy-efficient choices, you’re helping the environment. Not sure where to start? Check out our top tips for getting your home ready for summer!